Why do you WvW, or why did you?

Anvil Pants's picture

Please link this one to your guild and server forums so that we get a larger sample. Include your PvX friends that might only ever come in for the poll. (closes 28 Feb)

Casual zerg to pass the time.
8% (47 votes)
Challenging fights to test my skills.
68% (392 votes)
Social interaction with other players.
11% (65 votes)
Loot and rewards from kills and/or captures.
8% (44 votes)
Completion requirements for the rest of the game.
2% (11 votes)
I don't WvW, haven't and won't.
3% (16 votes)
Total votes: 575
Zed
Zed's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 1/19/14

Needs an option that says it's fun

Syndictive [Syn] Warrior Class Leader

Sea of Sorrows

 

Vyx
Vyx's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 12/18/13

I clicked challenging fights, but honestly it's more for the social aspect of working with a large group of people trying to win against other coordinated people.  But challenging fights are good fun too (small group roaming)

[DA] Vyl, Vyx.8607 - Henge of Denravi, Denravi Alliance

PM me any issues/complaints

Anvil Pants's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 30 min ago
Joined: 12/24/13

Zed wrote:

Needs an option that says it's fun

 

I meant for that to be what motivates our answer choices. The question asks which of these options is most fun for you.

Anvil Pants wrote:

GW2WvW Ignore List: Follow these simple instructions for your very own "fuck that guy" list!

Anvil Pants's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 30 min ago
Joined: 12/24/13

Vyx wrote:

I clicked challenging fights, but honestly it's more for the social aspect of working with a large group of people trying to win against other coordinated people.  But challenging fights are good fun too (small group roaming)

 

You're right, that is probably the big one that I didn't include. Glad you mentioned it with the poll only a few hours old. I added that option: switch your vote.

 

Won't be changing the choices again.

Anvil Pants wrote:

GW2WvW Ignore List: Follow these simple instructions for your very own "fuck that guy" list!

LonelyGeorgy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 1/31/14

Anvil stop wasting data.

The real scumbag

Anvil Pants's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 30 min ago
Joined: 12/24/13

Georgy, I'm wasting data to tell you that you wasted data telling me to stop wasting data. You're such a data-waster. Stahp et.

Anvil Pants wrote:

GW2WvW Ignore List: Follow these simple instructions for your very own "fuck that guy" list!

Oozo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 4 days ago
Joined: 12/24/13

If most people wanted challenging fights, then there wouldn't be so much zerging.  I'm afraid that this poll does not reflect reality.  The people who seek challenging fights in this game are the extreme minority.

However, there will be bias due to the type of players forums like these will attract.  I'd still say those truly seeking challening fights are in the minority, though.

Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 1/4/14

I would say I play for the challenging AND fair fights, and also I like to help out my Community whenever I can. Gathering up a Large group of players is usually a Social event for my Server and I imagine for others where everyone is on TS in the same channel with a Musicbot.

What you usually get is reward and a good laugh with people among your Community, I don't really enjoy that for long periods of time if it ends up being one big blob-fest or Karma Train but many do - people have a choice to play whatever way they find fun really.

 

Challenging fights are not easy to find though, I don't mean Guild group vs Disorganized Pug group with uplevels, more like Guild vs Guild without interference and skill lag - even then it usually becomes melee train vs melee train.

Then for us Solo Roamers, when you find a duel you think you've struck gold until you find out the guy you're dueling is using some super cheesy build or if you are really unlucky your fight will get interfered by some random annoying Thief who backstabs you.

So what is a truly a challenging fight to us all? 

 

Rubio /  Raids and Randomness from Desolation // Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Elitism is for those who take certain things too seriously.

Anvil Pants's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 30 min ago
Joined: 12/24/13

Oozo wrote:

If most people wanted challenging fights, then there wouldn't be so much zerging.  I'm afraid that this poll does not reflect reality.  The people who seek challenging fights in this game are the extreme minority.

However, there will be bias due to the type of players forums like these will attract.  I'd still say those truly seeking challening fights are in the minority, though.

 

That is how I am reading the results, too. I absolutely disbelieve that >60% of the WvW playing population of GW2 honestly play for challenging fights within whatever fighting style they've chosen. However, I fully believe that that number of this forum's population does exactly that.

 

That's also to say that I know we are sampling this forum's readership, and not the majority of GW2 players, although I asked for it to be passed around by those willing to do so. Our sample is already filtered by the fact that the majority of respondents had to visit this site's front page and also read my post headline.

 

What this poll should tell everyone is that the majority of people in this sub-community are seeking challenging fights in WvW. The poll does not tell you how they define "challenge" and "fight". I know that Oozo is in the 1v1 seeking solo roaming group. I suspect that the majority of respondents are in the GvG and larger scale open-field fight groups, which I won't call ZvZ or Blob v Blob because the terms are derogatory and unneccessary.

Anvil Pants wrote:

GW2WvW Ignore List: Follow these simple instructions for your very own "fuck that guy" list!

Fred's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 12/30/13

Anvil you silly fool, the people who zerg are the mindless ones who voted for option 4/5 and if they're stupid, 6. Or the ones who aren't on these forums. The hardcore Guild drivers/members and self admitted pug commanders are the ones on these forums. The % of people you see zerging... probably 1/30 people in the 80 man blobs use these forums. That being said... the readings do seem a little odd. But oh well! It could also be perspective. Zerging might be a challenging fight to some where as it might be a walk in the park for others.

HeNnAz.8913 - hit me up for duels

"Unhand my Cheezels Motherfucker!" - Fred 2014

Silver Soldier [TT]

OCX swag. I'm just bad.

Anvil Pants's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 30 min ago
Joined: 12/24/13

Fred wrote:

Anvil you silly fool

 

Hey, I'm not the one that transfered my main account back to Anvil Rock and told people that the server was making a WvW comeback.

 

Fred wrote:

the people who zerg are the mindless ones who voted for option 4/5 and if they're stupid, 6.

 

I thought that much was obvious: it's zerging for a specific reason other than just passing time. Yet, it is also possible to chase some of the WvW-bound achievements without joining a zerg. You also haven't qualified what "zerg" and "mindless" are. I know you well enough to figure it out, and dismiss it. Smile

 

Fred wrote:

Or the ones who aren't on these forums. The hardcore Guild drivers/members and self admitted pug commanders are the ones on these forums. The % of people you see zerging... probably 1/30 people in the 80 man blobs use these forums.

 

Addressed that in my reply to Oozo, and it's really not something to complain about. It's a fact (although the exact distribution can't be known, so your "1/30" is lolz), and nothing more.

 

Fred... you are too concerned with and complain too much about zergs. You joined the right server! Take the poll results for what they are: representative of the people reading this site who are willing to respond to polls.

Anvil Pants wrote:

GW2WvW Ignore List: Follow these simple instructions for your very own "fuck that guy" list!

V for Veretta's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 5 sec ago
Joined: 12/27/13

.... because pressing more buttons besides my number 1 is hard kk?

Veretta • [oPP] Over Powered People • Blackgate
www.gw2opp.comwww.youtube.com/user/oppveretta

Anvil Pants's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 30 min ago
Joined: 12/24/13

V for Veretta wrote:

.... because pressing more buttons besides my number 1 is hard kk?

 

 

Fun fact: Zerglings don't only press the 1 key, they press ALL the keys! L2Z QQfags!

Anvil Pants wrote:

GW2WvW Ignore List: Follow these simple instructions for your very own "fuck that guy" list!

Caladestel (not verified)

And what about people that are interrested in the strategic part of the game : How to put in place siege weapons. Troops movement. Supply management. Efficient communication with allies (may be a part of the social interaction, but not only). Defense of our forts, even when outnumbered (may be part of challenging, but i am not sure it is the same as the one you have mention).

It is not the same thing as the social part, it is not the challenge you are talking about, it is far from zerg, and it has nothing to do with rewards Biggrin

Fred's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 12/30/13

I guess I could stop complaining and stuffs! but it's just so damn easy!

HeNnAz.8913 - hit me up for duels

"Unhand my Cheezels Motherfucker!" - Fred 2014

Silver Soldier [TT]

OCX swag. I'm just bad.

Anvil Pants's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 30 min ago
Joined: 12/24/13

Caladestel wrote:

And what about people that are interrested in the strategic part of the game : How to put in place siege weapons. Troops movement. Supply management. Efficient communication with allies (may be a part of the social interaction, but not only). Defense of our forts, even when outnumbered (may be part of challenging, but i am not sure it is the same as the one you have mention).

It is not the same thing as the social part, it is not the challenge you are talking about, it is far from zerg, and it has nothing to do with rewards Biggrin

 

The poll does not define "challenge" nor the scope of "social interaction". Please don't project your biases onto others as a strawman of the others' biases. Biggrin

 

You've a valid point in there: the concepts of strategy and logistics you've described are challenging, socially interactive, and are probably not what most people are thinking about when playing WvW for the fights. However, everything you've mentioned absolutely are components of the categories you asserted that they aren't part of.

Anvil Pants wrote:

GW2WvW Ignore List: Follow these simple instructions for your very own "fuck that guy" list!